From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Coral is a group of marine creatures. Most survive by means of photosynthesis via the Zooxanthella that live in their flesh. Some are carnivorous and others are filter feeders. Most are a combination of photosynthetic and filter feeder. Coral falls into three categories:
- Soft Coral: examples of these are mushrooms, xeina, and button polyps.
- Large Polyp Stony LPS: This would be the family that the brains, mussids, and plate corals reside in.
- Small Polyp Stony SPS: This family consists of species such as the acroporua, milliporua, and montiporua.
- Most of the coral reefs in the ocean are built from the skeletons of dead SPS such as elk horn coral.