|Contents||Top · 0-9 · A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Cardinalfish belong to the family Apogonidae. They are found in the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific oceans, they are chiefly marine, but some species are found in brackish water. A handful of species are kept in the aquarium and are popular as small, peaceful, and colourful fish.
They are generally small fish, with most species being less than 10cm (3.9"), and are often brightly coloured. They are distinguished by their large mouths, and the division of the dorsal fin into two separate fins. Most species live in tropical or subtropical waters, where they inhabit coral reefs and lagoons.
They are nocturnal, spending the day in dark crevices within the reef. At least some species brood the eggs inside the mouth of the males.
Pages in category "Cardinalfish"
The following 38 pages are in this category, out of 38 total.
Media in category "Cardinalfish"
The following 18 files are in this category, out of 18 total.
- Apogon cyanosoma9987.jpg 67 KB
- Bangai cardinal 1.jpg 2.01 MB
- Bangai cardinal 2.jpg 2.24 MB
- Bangai cardinal 3.jpg 2.26 MB
- Bangaicardinal-3508.jpg 2.82 MB
- Bangaicardinal.jpg 71 KB
- Fowleria flammea.jpg 38 KB
- Gymnapogon philippinus.jpg 143 KB
- Apogon aureus34653.jpg 87 KB
- Pterapogon kauderni-5991.jpg 1.12 MB
- Pyjama Cardinals-4829.jpg 120 KB
- Pyjamacardinal-189.jpg 429 KB
- Pyjamacardinal01.jpg 68 KB
- Pyjamacardinal2-8276.jpg 561 KB