Tanganyikan Spiny Eel (Mastacembelus ellipsifer)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Tanganyikan Spiny Eel)
Tanganyikan Spiny Eel
284 Litres (75 US G.)
40-45 cm (15.7-17.7")
8.0 - 9.5
22.8-27.2°C (73 -81 °F)
- Tanganyikan Spiny Eel
Additional scientific names
- Aethiomastacembelus ellipsifer, Afromastacembelus ellipsifer
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Endemic to Lake Tanganyika.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- It's not possible to visually sex this fish.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Best kept in a Tanganyikan community and with peaceful robust fish too large to be eaten. It can be territorial towards other Spiny Eels, so one to a tank.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Should accept most meaty foods including bloodworm, earthworms, shrimp and mussels.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires hard alkaline conditions with plenty of places to hide in rock work. A sand substrate is preferred and dim lighting. They do not cope well with currents.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A predatory fish that is territorial towards its own kind. Will be peaceful towards fish too large to be eaten.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Typical Spiny Eel in shape with a long snout, it is pale cream-brown in colour with broad red-orange bands down the body.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )