Banded Archerfish (Toxotes jaculatrix)
From The Aquarium Wiki
208 Litres (55 US G.)
20.3-30.5cm (8-12 ")
7.0 - 8.0
25-29.4°C (77 -85 °F)
- Banded Archerfish
Additional scientific names
- Sciaena jaculatrix
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to visually sex.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Primarily a surface feeder, but will occasionally occupy the middle of the tank as well. Only with other brackish or hard water species, such as Monodactylus and Scatophagus.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Although adaptable, the use insects and other invertebrates regularly in their diet is preferred.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed lightly every day, twice a day, or heavily every other day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Brackish water fish, SG 1.002 to 1.007, but can adapt to freshwater - however it is preferred if this condition is kept only temporarily. Lower the water level slightly as they can jump.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Rather active fish, becoming more so when in groups. Famous for their 'archery' abilities, where they shoot jets of water at insects above the water's surface.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Differ from other Toxotes by having their banding extending into their dorsal fin, with only vertical banding. May or may not have a yellowish tail.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )