Thank you for your edits! --Brian 01:30, 7 June 2013 (UTC)
Haha! Thank you. A bit of OCD goes a long way! --Cat 11:46, 18 June 2013 (UTC)
So at first I thought you were having issues with this page Rhinecanthus rectangulus, Humuhumunukunukuapua'a is quite a name. Is there a reason you chose that as the primary name over a more english name? If I don't hear back from you I'm going to update it. --Brian 00:03, 25 September 2013 (UTC)
To answer your questions:
1) Yes there are some pages and templates missing. This was due to the fact that we had hundreds of spam edits daily and the DB ended up maxed out on size (on disk). I had to take some action to clean up the legacy of these bots, and some stuff appears to have been removed in the process. I have a local backup of the wiki from a bit ago, but most of the missing pages I have gone looking for are missing from that too. The WayBack machine may be of some help here, but I haven't looked yet.
2) I removed that page redirecting to the Blank page. If you stay around for a bit Cat and I will talk about giving you the mod powers to do some of the more destructive actions :)
3) Generally it is better form to make a typo-ed page redirect to the correct page. That way external links or internal links still work. However as you seem to be hinting at, a redirect that is a typo shouldn't be linked to though (or really mentioned otherwise).
As for my absence, you can blame my 3 yr old and 4 month old for that :) Catt and I are always around and take care of spam in 1-2 days.
Also you can write --~~~~ to auto-sign your comments
A pleasure that I did my part in making this wiki a great place to be! :)
Done! It just needs the ID number in the code (look in the edit source option). You can get the ID code for the species either from the Fishbase URL or if it says the species name instead, if you go to the species' synonym page you'll be able to see the ID code in that Fishbase URL. Does that make sense?? --Cat (talk) 17:42, 10 February 2018 (UTC)
Hey thanks for responding, I'll try some of your suggestions and let you know If I still have an issue.
I quickly tried again and got the following error?:
"This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your action was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: More Magic"
I was trying to add the following info to my user page;
Jack Dempsey has over 20 years of experience with freshwater aquariums and loves to share his passion for the hobby with beginners and his children. Jack lives in Edmonton Alberta, Canada with his wife and two wonderful children. Jack is a Project Manager by Day and an Author/Blogger by night. Jack's goal is to help beginners avoid the biggest mistakes when getting started in the fish keeping hobby and writes about his own fish keeping mishaps & adventures on his blog.
Thanks for any help you can provide. Take care.
I'll give it another go[edit source]
Hey Peter, You are correct; I am using a work computer (that's my only one) so I'll try again, but if not no worries. I would love if you could update my page - but If I can't contribute to anything until I get a new computer, it might not be worthwhile right now. I'll keep in touch, thanks for your help.
Errors for new / anon users editing pages[edit source]
Hey thanks for helping Jack out. Catt and I are around a few times a week as you noted :).
When you see "This action has been automatically identified as harmful" that means one of our AbuseLog filters have been triggered. I know it hurts newer users, that "More Magic" one has prevented about 2 dozen edits today alone. It's hard for new and legitimate users but prevents 90% of SPAM edits (it has prevented nearly 7million edits since I added that filter).
Thanks for your stewardship.
Thanks for your help in patrolling! Catt and I swing by about once a week to clean up random spam and vandalism. I also tweak the filters to block the easier to identify spam, we get about ~300 edits a day that are blocked as spam.
Removed that extra page, and thanks for the help knocking out those duplicate template variables.
- As a followup, you have been around long enough and contributed quality edits enough that I granted you Admin permissions to the wiki. This will let you, among other things delete pages and block spammers. <Insert speech about great powers and great responsibilities>. If you have any questions let me know, and make sure you use your powers only for good! --Brian (talk) 15:05, 15 January 2020 (UTC)
Captcha error[edit source]
I created a page to add a forum (fishlore.com) to the Forums category including an external link to the site. The wiki asked to confirm with a Captcha, which erred and would not let me complete. I created the article in my Sandbox page. So, I deleted the external link and moved the article to a main page ("Fishlore"). It moved. I then edited the page to add the link, first as "[http://www.fishlore.com Fishlore]", then "[http://www.fishlore.com]", and finally as a bare link "http://www.fishlore.com". In all three tries, the Captcha erred. Not sure how to get you a screenshot of the error. It says "ERROR for site owner: Invalid domain for site key". Any idea why? Thanks. Arvil (talk) 03:44, 27 November 2020 (UTC)
Hello, I'm Zone, I'm an ichthyologist, the study of fish. I like to read a ton of fish encyclopedias in my spare time. I hope to create and improve existing or new articles to The Aquarium Wiki. I will also do occasional grammar fixing to articles if needed. Any questions, comments or suggestions can be directed to my email or via my talk page! --Zone (talk) 20:33, 28 November 2020 (UTC)
This action has been automatically identified as harmful and therefore disallowed. If you believe your action was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is More Magic. --Zone (talk) 11:15, 29 November 2020 (UTC)
- Yeah, the anti-spambot doesn't just stop new users from creating their user/talk pages but also stops them from creating new pages. Strange really, because I was able to create a category page. --Zone (talk) 03:50, 30 November 2020 (UTC)
- Can you create my user page for me as you did with my talk page? Just add the following: Hello, I'm Zone, I'm an ichthyologist, the study of fish. I like to read a ton of fish encyclopedias in my spare time. I hope to create and improve existing or new articles to The Aquarium Wiki. I will also do occasional grammar fixing to articles if needed. Any questions, comments or suggestions can be directed to my email or via my talk page! --Zone (talk) 20:32, 1 December 2020 (UTC)
- Thanks for taking care of this. You are correct that the spam filter got him, for reference the filter that blocked this edit blocked over 500 edits in the last 3 days. I wish it didn't come to this, but we all have lives outside of the site! --Brian (talk) 15:43, 2 December 2020 (UTC)